Kirkland CrossFit is excited to announce our February Athlete of the Month, Karen Brender! Karen impresses everyone with her early morning and super positive, motivating presence at the gym! Next year she will be celebrating 10 years at Kirkland CrossFit! Learn more below about Karen’s commitment to the Kirkland CrossFit community and her own personal fitness successes! Thank you, Karen!
- How long have you been a member at Kirkland CrossFit? Do you remember your first experience? Scott and I joined KCF in April 2009 – so just about nine years! Ironically my very first workout – after the one-on-one classes – was Karen! It is still one of my favorite WODS!
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? The people of course! And it’s always different, always a challenge – just a great way to start the day.
- Your daughter does CrossFit and I know you both competed together in Barbells for Boobs, what does this special bond mean to you? Both my daughters do CrossFit. Samantha is the one who crushed Barbells for Boobs! People who do CF love to talk about CF, so it’s fun to have that in common with them.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? Grace is my favorite workout – because power cleans are my favorite movement. I love doing handstands and walking on my hands too – although I can’t walk as far as I use to.
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? Thrusters and running.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? The most fun accomplishment was during last year’s Open WOD 17.3 what I snatched 95# – twice! (I think 90# was my PR at the time). With friends watching and cheering you on, it’s amazing what you can do! Sign up for the Open!! I PR’d my Grace time at Barbells for Boobs this year – that was fun too!
- Is there anything you want to share with KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and accomplishments? Any recent PRs you are super proud of or lifts you feel more comfortable performing? HSPU, ring dips, and bar muscle ups – those three have always been in the back of my mind as movements I’d like to be able to do. But I am not sure how realistic it is for me to think I can get them at my age. In one of the early apps of Web sites that KCF had, we were asked to enter a goal. I entered “I want to be doing CrossFit 10 years from now,” I am almost there! And it’s still my goal – see you in 2029!
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? I like to take Mille for hikes, work in the yard, and cook for friends and family. I’ve been knitting a lot lately – it is something to do on the five hour car rides across the state to drop/pickup Hanna from college in Spokane.
- Do you have a favorite place to vacation? Home. Which is Connecticut/Rhode Island/New Hampshire/Massachusetts – where my family lives. Italy is pretty nice too!