Because it’s May and Mother’s Day is around the corner, we are excited to highlight the awesome Mother / Daughter duo Jill Lucas and Ashley King as our May Athletes of the Month! Jill and Ashley often hit classes together, and even this year signed up for the CrossFit Open together! We love to watch how they support and push one another during workouts! Below are their answers to some questions we asked to learn more about their love of KCF and CrossFit!
- How long have you been members at Kirkland CrossFit? Do you remember your first experience? Who inspired who to check out CrossFit? Jill: I have been coming since October 2017. Ashley encouraged me to try it out. My first workout was with Aggie and it was a deadlift and rowing. I could not get movements down. Ashley: I started in August of 2017, Chris (my boyfriend) thought CrossFit would be good for me because it would increase my fitness ability and help me reach my fitness goals. I was skeptical, but signed up for a one-on-one. Brigid was my coach and awesome to learn from. My first class I remember Byron introducing himself, and the next day Alexis introduced herself. I eventually connected that they were Father and Daughter and thought ‘wow, what a friendly family and so many welcoming people.’
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? Jill: I find the workouts to be very addicting. I come back for the challenge and try to perfect the movements. I appreciate and am grateful for the coaches patience through learning each movement and find it very helpful when they break all the movements down. Ashley: I come constantly because I know the longer I wait between workouts, the tougher the next one will be! It is a fun way to workout. Some workouts take almost a full hour, where others take 12-15 minutes. I like the mix up and not knowing what to expect from a WOD. If you think the workout is going to be ‘easy’ you are 95% of the time never right.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? Jill: I don’t have a favorite movement, but if I had to pick one, it would be a push press. Ashley: I have learned to love cleans! Burpees are the most rewarding when you are done!
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? Jill: If I had to choose it would be hand stand push ups. I always have to modify this move and don’t know if I will ever get it down. Ashley: Snatches! But isn’t that everyone’s? LOL! I find snatches to be the hardest to improve on, but like the challenge of seeing them in a workout.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? Jill: I have lost some weight and am in much better shape. Ashley: The Open was awesome. I believe 18.1 was the first workout I RX’d!
- Is there anything you want to share with KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and accomplishments? Specifically, how important working out together is for you both? Jill: Ashley encourages me to be better and never makes me feel bad for slowing her down. We have supported each other for a long time and I am thankful for our relationship. I appreciate the support from everyone at the gym. I have come to realize no WOD is bad, if you are there giving it your best, that’s all that matters. Ashley: I love that I always have a partner for partner WODs and we keep each other accountable. If we aren’t feeling motivated to go to class, we force the other to. We are competitive, so if my mom makes it to more classes in a week, I want to go to more the following. By the end of summer I would like to get a pull up and complete a workout doing RX push ups, those are a couple of my upcoming goals! Health wise, I want to find a good balance and what works for me nutrition wise. To our CrossFit community, I want to say thank you for all the support and encouragement. I look up to so many people in the gym!
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? Jill: I enjoy watching Seattle sports teams, yard work, and being outdoors. Ashley: I am a big fan of the Seahawks and Mariners, just like my mom! Chris and I like to do road trips and hikes if the weather is great!
- Do you have a favorite place to vacation or travel to? Jill: I enjoy camping during the summer. We live in a beautiful area! Ashley: Chris and I went to Iceland last year and love it! I also met Katrin Davidsdottir, this was right after I stared CrossFit, so it was pretty awesome and their gym is HUGE! But we always like to be planning our next adventure!