Though our Athlete of the Month has only been with Kirkland CrossFit approximately one year, he sticks out to our trainers for his consistency, dedication and focus! We have named Jamie Porter our December 2019 Athlete of the Month because we love how he works hard every day, plus always supporting his fellow athletes.
We asked Jamie some questions below about his fitness journey, as well as some outside the gym hobbies. Read below to learn more:
- How long have you been a member at Kirkland CrossFit? Do you remember your first experience? I have been a member at KCF for just over a year. I don’t remember much anymore but I do recall my first experience/workout at KCF. The reason I remember it is because it had a 40 minute time cap and I got capped out and was like, wtf is this place, 40 minute workouts? That was the longest workout I had ever done in CrossFit which I have been doing for about 6 years now. By the way, that workout I speak of was on Oct. 1, 2018 and I would like a redo. (REDO THIS FRIDAY 12/13)
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? I love the atmosphere, the people and the competitive nature of the gym. The people here are awesome and always great to see and workout with. It also doesn’t hurt that it helps keep my blood pressure low and heart healthy. Another reason I love coming to the gym is when you are working out, nothing else matters, any worries or stresses you have outside of the gym are clear of your mind for that period of time.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? My favorite WOD’s are the ones that take less than 10 minutes. I like short workouts because at the end of the day, it still counts as working out. Some of my favorite movements are muscle-ups, pull-ups, handstand walks, cleans (Power, not Squat Michelle) and push press.
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? Let’s see, least favorite, well, it’s not really my least favorite but for now it would be Diane because she has kicked my a#% 4 times in open workouts, I have never completed it in the 9 min cap but I will in 2020. Least favorite movements would be burpees, wall balls, running, kettle bell swings, and not being able to do butterfly pull-ups.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? Being named the Athlete of Month obviously. In all seriousness, I think my biggest accomplishment so far at KCF is building up my endurance on the longer workouts. It was a glaring weakness and still is, but is consistently improving.
- Is there anything you want to share with the KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and accomplishments? Any recent PRs you are super proud of or lifts you feel more comfortable performing? When I started CrossFit (2013/14) I was 240 lbs with ~28% body fat, sleep apnea and blood pressure as high as 179/101 which is not good for you non physicians like me. I was looking for something that was different every day and challenging at the same time which led me to CrossFit and I am happy to say the blood pressure is in check, as well as the weight, body fat and sleep apnea. A lot can be accomplished with a great community of people surrounding you and a little hard work. Recent PR’s I am proud of would be the snatch at 175# and power snatch at 185#, when I joined KCF just over a year ago my power snatch PR was 160# and snatch was 135#. The fact that you all (coaches) force me to squat these lifts has been a
huge boost to my strength and technique.
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? I enjoy cooking but don’t necessarily enjoy the time and labor of it. I enjoy golfing, going to movies and getting triple butter on my popcorn unless you go to Factoria you can butter your own!!! I also coach my son’s baseball team and love watching him play. I like to spend time with my family of 4 (wife, daughter 18 and son 14). I love watching Husky football and college football for that matter. I enjoy camping and hiking but would like to do it more.
- Do you have a favorite place to vacation? I’m not sure I have a favorite vacation spot but I really like San Diego (Pacific Beach). I don’t vacation often though so it’s tough, there are a lot of places I would like to visit in order to answer this question properly. Check back with me in 20 years after I win the lotto!!!
Thank you Jamie for your answers, support of Kirkland CrossFit, and overall great and positive presence in the gym!