Our September Athlete of the Month has amazing strength, loves to push himself by working on weaknesses, and is also one of the most positive people in the gym! Thank you, Curtis for your being you and pushing us all to be better! We are so proud to name you our Kirkland CrossFit Athlete of the Month! Below are Custis’ answers to our questions!
- How long have you been a member at Kirkland CrossFit? Do you remember your first experience? I believe I have been a member at KCF since 2015. YES! I remember my first WOD. Cindy Pestka dragged me kicking and screaming. I essentially fell off the rower, exhausted after the warm up, saying “that wasn’t too bad” while Cindy looked at me with crossed eyes, saying “uh, that was just the start of the warm up”… It’s been a long, painful road since then, but Cindy was able to motivate me, and that experience really turned me on to fitness!
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? The community is FANTASTIC, and the camaraderie is outstanding. I think we’re all so lucky to have such a great gym filled with great people. I’m lacking the athletic talent, but working hard, and challenging myself along side some truly great athletes and people, and being continually inspired by everyone keeps me coming back. Also, the coaches are excellent, and have managed to pound insight into my head (“hook grip!”… Thank you Lenore!), and it’s so helpful. That post-workout feeling is pretty phenomenal too!
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? Favorite WOD: Murph – It’s absolutely brutal, but I love it, and I love the spirit of the event. The honor that CrossFit brings to our fallen heroes is important to me. Favorite movement: CrossFit Total – Lifting heavy things… one of my two skills!
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? Least favorite WOD/movements: EMOM Burpees / Double Unders. No question. Those are definitely not big man approved.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? Four years of sticking with CrossFit. Never thought there was a fitness program that I would incorporate into my life. It’s incredible!
- Is there anything you want to share with KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and accomplishments? Any recent PRs you are super proud of or lifts you feel most comfortable performing? My fitness goal is to remain consistent with CrossFit and to work to improve my consistency with RX performance. I’ve got a long way to go, but I’m excited to continue to work. On the lifting front, I love getting stronger, and I hope to push my deadlift over 600lbs, and my Clean and Jerk over 300lbs in the next year.
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? Outside the gym I love being on the water, boating, fishing, and enjoying time with my family and friends. I’m an engineer, so I spend a lot of time tinkering, trying not to hurt myself, and working on some cool projects, which is always fun!
- Do you have a favorite place to vacation? Amalfi Coast (Italy), and my family and I love to spend time in the summer in Woods Hole, on Cape Cod, MA.