We are proud to announce our Kirkland CrossFit Athlete of the Month, Ryan Schauble! Ryan is super competitive, a great motivator of others, and overall stellar athlete! He’s in the gym daily and this past year completed Grace in 1:40 during Barbells for Boobs! Through his continued work in Olympic Weightlifting, he’s continuing to get stronger and faster, plus making new goals to crush in the new year! Take a look at Ryan’s answers to the questions we asked him below.
- How long have you been a member at KCF? Do you remember your first experience? I joined Kirkland CrossFit approximately five years ago when I moved to this side of the state. The first class I ever attended was quite intimidating to say the least. The WOD was an open workout (13.5 I think) and an ambulance was called for someone who slipped off the bar during chest to bar pull-ups. Not only was the WOD crazy hard for a first timer, but the gym was packed with people I didn’t know cheering on and motivating one another. I also puked after finishing the WOD, so I didn’t think I’d last long.
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? Competition – There’s always somebody who I want to beat or who can push me. I tried the Gold’s Gym thing before joining CrossFit, but found myself slacking off because there was no competition or motivation to succeed. People – The people at KCF are some of the most kind and genuine people I know. It makes it so much easier going to the gym every day if you look forward to seeing the people you workout with! Variety – I love the different kinds of movements and workouts we get in CrossFit. It definitely tests our limits and keeps our body guessing.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? My favorite WODs are usually the ones that have a heavy barbell weight or require you to lift your body weight.
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? Anything with over a mile running or 1000M of rowing = puke.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? My biggest personal accomplishment was completing Grace in 1:40. I am not sure where that came from. I’ve also PR’d in nearly every lift in the past couple of months due to attending the Olympic Lifting class with Brigid. Clean is up to 285, Snatch at 205, and Clean & Jerk at 270!
- Is there anything you want to share with KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and accomplishments? Recent PRs, lifts, preparation for Barbells for Boobs Grace? As noted above, if you want to improve your lifts, I highly recommend attending the Olympic Lifting class. My current goal is to clean 300lbs and be more consistent in my snatch. For Barbells for Boobs, my game plan was to drop from the top after every rep and avoid stepping away from the bar. I’d like to get 1:35 next time around.
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? I like to stay active and play intramural sports year-round. I’m on a volleyball team, two soccer teams, a softball team, and a flag football team. If there’s a country concert in the area, chances are I’m there (unless it’s new pop-country crap). Also, I am passionate about WSU and Seattle Mariners.
- Do you have a favorite place to vacation? Not necessarily, but the girlfriend and I make it a priority to take a couple of “big” trips a year. We’ve gone to San Diego, Las Vegas, Cabo, and Thailand in the last couple of year plus have Hawaii (February) and Morocco (March) coming up!