Kirkland CrossFit is excited to announce our November Athlete of the Month, Chris Ong! Chris is an early morning regular or Oly lifting champion! His continued presence and strength improvements impress us all! Below please find out a little more about Chris’ personal gym goals and accomplishments, as well as some of his favorite activities outside KCF! Thank you Chris for your time and we truly see you as an inspiration and pillar in the KCF community!
- How long have you been a member at KCF? Do you remember your first experience? I have been a member for about 3.5 years and began at the North gym. Harpa lead me through my 101, and I remember coming in feeling completely overwhelmed by the class and everyone’s positive attitude. My big inspirations early on were Marc Bauman and Karen Brender who helped me with a lot of movements and showing me that the workouts were actually doable!
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? The community! I love the coaches who are always pushing us and full of positive energy, and of course the 5:30AM crew who unfailingly show up and cheer each other on.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? Snatches. They remind me how far I have come and how much further I have to go. Always a humbling movement.
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? Thrusters. Especially when combined with burpees over the bar or something else that’s exhausting. The burn is so intense, always happy to be done with those WODs!
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? It would be getting a hand stand push up. Thanks to the coaches and members for helping me get to this point. It looked completely impossible when I first started.
- Is there anything you want to share with the KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and accomplishments? Any recent PRs you are super pumped about or lifts you for more comfortable performing? I think snatching more than 100 pounds has to be it. Thanks to Brigid and Devon who tirelessly helped me in weightlifting class, and I’d like to encourage other members who struggle with these movements to come to weightlifting and also know that you will get it in time. I remember struggling to even snatch a 35lb bar when I first started.
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? Crossfit has become a great hobby for me, but on weekends, my wife Jeannie and I like visiting the parks in our beautiful city, especially the Arboretum.
- Do you have a favorite place to vacation? Visiting family is always a great vacation, and I’m lucky to have a close family in Canada, Houston and Hong Kong that we visit often. We love Southern California too, and Hawaii is also top of the list.
Thanks for creating such a positive community at Kirkland CrossFit!